Pages

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Studio Self-love

It seems as though it’s been a long time since I had a full studio day with no major making plans. Today dawned empty of any expectation other than reconnecting with and evaluating my recent work – almost a curatorial kind of day. Time to step back and assess what I’m making and why, think about how it will all sit together as an exhibition in a space, and re-inspire myself. I’ve been feeling a little distant from my next exhibition DistoMorph, as life has been very busy and lots of art time has been spent in the office rather than the studio. I started to feel doubtful and uneasy about everything. Another rejection letter yesterday didn’t help. I don’t get too worried about it these days, but it’s always nice to have that boost, and confirmation.

I walked for a few hours this morning, I napped, I took my time in approaching the task. Rushing in with angst and trying to ‘fix’ things is a surefire way to tie yourself tightly up in knots and spiral out of control.

 I viewed the photos I have of works already made, and found a lot to like about them, but saw that the relationship between them needed to be strengthened. It doesn’t take much to get a spark going, and sure enough, I was soon digging through sketches for Algalrhythms, and opening Photoshop and Illustrator files. DistoMorph is essentially a Part II of Algalrhythms (and a whole lot easier to spell) so it makes sense to return to some of the original source materials and ideas not completed, or even take some already used in a new direction. Briefly in the sewing studio, I played with some bits and piece literally hanging around.



Adding to it all, I leafed through this wonderful book I recently bought, which has some inceredibly creative use of materials and free-motion embroidery in it.

So an afternoon of play developed, with new ideas from old, and a settled feeling that I can see my path again.


No comments:

Post a Comment