Pages

Tuesday 18 April 2023

Photography Basics

 With my Artist Residency coming up quickly, I decided it was time to finally wrap my head around my camera and learn how to use it better. It's a Canon G7X, and it's great at point and shoot on auto, but with my hopes of photographing bioluminessence and snow and ice formations, I knew I'd need to be able to accommodate some pretty specific requirements. I enrolled in a small group beginners afternoon course held down at the Botanic Gardens at Benowa, and got myself a tripod as well.

Just finding out where the menu was for Program mode was great, as was learning what all the symbols meant and how and why to adjust and use them. In some ways it was a slow process, but there was also a lot to take in. We were also advised on which settings should be set and not moved!

How to zoom in properly was really helpful - it sounds so basic but it's something I mess up frequently, and there are some simple solutions. Then there is the blurring of the background for that special focus on the subject:



Changing the White Balance was another one I think will be very useful - especially if I get to shoot in the snow. It adjusts for colour casts from different types of lighting - shade, full sun, fluoro lights etc. so can can capture it more as it actually looks.


I think the most impressive one for the day for me was learning how to shoot water either moving or fully stopped - this is where the tripod came in to play, as I would never be able to hold the camera for the shutter speed length.



I have since diligently transcribed my notes, and tried to use them - thank goodness I did so straight away, as it was already a struggle! I actually left the workshop a little before it finished as I knew my brain was full and just wouldn't take any more in. I managed a couple of pics in the back garden, but I'd better get onto it again very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment