Pages

Saturday 25 March 2023

De-stash Market

 I realised I haven’t posted many blogs of late. Part of this is because I write articles for TEXTILE Fibre Forum magazine, so a lot of my material goes there. Part of it is probably because I spend so much time writing applications and submissions for galleries, grants, and competitions. There’s definitely been a lot of that happening recently, so it was nice to have a break this morning and head off to the De-stash Markets at Mount Gravatt Showgrounds (not that my studio really needed re-stocking, but I'd hate to miss out...). It got off to a great start with getting free entry – someone who was leaving passed me an un-used wrist tag. I was more than happy to accept, and get out of the line in the hot sun – I can literally feel my skin begin to crackle after only a short time.


The first stall I hit was well organised, with lengths of material on hangers and clearly priced, gorgeous 60’s/70’s curtains in bags, and some other fairly hideous but wonderful pieces at $2/bundle. I’ve reached a stage where if a fabric speaks to me, I just go with it, and today definitely had a 70’s vibe with orange and brown knit/netting, and a fierce lime upholstery material. Oooh, and a piece of funky faux fur for $4. A brightly patterned velveteen piece also asked to be taken home. The next find was a couple of pieces of lovely silver leather, then some silver sequinned fabric. Then a nice piece of metallic lycra, followed by some gold cord, and a few dark purple bobbles. These strange bits and piece and offcuts are perfect for someone like me who works with cut up and distorted materials.

I got out of there spending less than $40, but I AM sorry I didn’t get the large piece of turquoise velveteen – sometimes it’s nice to have a big bit of fabric.

It was a great market and everyone there seemed to be having a good time – a nice way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment