Pages

Tuesday 1 December 2020

One year on from King Island

One year ago I was packing my duffel bag full of not much (15kg limit) to head to King Island on my very first Artist Residency. Since my return, every day has been touched with the memories of this unique place, as I scroll through photos, draw designs, dye and stitch, trying to capture the essence of the place in my works. As the year closes, I reflect on the work that I’ve created – nearly a full exhibition’s worth. The challenge now is to find venues to exhibit in – I do hope I get to share my creations soon.

I currently have about forty works - mostly panels featuring dyed silk, satin, free-motion embroidery work and leather, as well as some paintings. I'm on the cusp of working out some special sculpture/installation pieces - I hope - they just haven't been able to make their way through my brain until other pieces were done. Here's a sneak peek of one of my favourites - moulded and painted leather on a dyed and stitched background. So much of this has been about capturing the sense of movement left behind on the shoreline, and I think I can see it here.

I would love to have the opportunity to participate in an experience like this again, and I treasure my King Island adventure memories



No comments:

Post a Comment