Pages

Saturday 28 March 2015

For something new - Antlers!!

The mood has shifted in StudioSvenja as the epic WOW journey of 2015 draws to a close - for now. Nights spent stitching until 2am when I can no longer feel my fingers are no longer in the foreseeable future. (To the left is a detail shot which I have played with in photoshop - I have to keep doing it so I don't forget everything!!) The Svenja support team have rallied, bestowing positive feedback on my work, some even saying 'best work ever'! I do always need a few pats on the head by this stage! As usual, I am glad to see the end of it, and look forward to embracing new projects.....
Like the large antlers I agreed to make for a shoot for Chantal BrennanPhotography, late one night, full of champagne fueled enthusiasm and good will. With such a busy month coming up, I seriously questioned my sanity the following morning in agreeing to do this. Turns out to have been a great decision. I made them this week, and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.  I can't wait to see the results of the Easter shoot! 
from ChantalOn the right is the inspiration pic she sent me, to the left is what I have made so far. I am still wrapping them in cord to give a ribbed, horn-like appearance.
The WOW shoot itself is booked for the 19th of April, but of course, I will not be able to share those until after the event in September.

On Thursday night, mother Jacqueline and I went to the QldBallet's performance of La Sylphide,
 a ballet I've never seen before. I had booked the
tickets for us, and clearly got a bit confused - Row F was not, as I had thought, in the stalls, but in the balcony - but what fabulous seats they turned out to be! We had a full view of the orchestra, which I have to admit, totally distracted and fascinated me. As did the costumes. Several times I felt as though I was looking at a Degas painting. The absolutely beautiful shades of green in the tutus, the darkness of the set - it was like watching a painting.  Oh, and of course, did I mention the exquisite dancing?!
Jacqueline recently visited the BVAC hub to do some printing with Sandra Pearce, after enjoying a workshop with her at the Redland Art Gallery.  It sounds like it was a great day, and the resulting monoprints have inspired us both. The depth of layering in the images just begs for the further step of drawing in what may be suggested by the print, and I for one can't wait for a play day in her studio in early April!  Including a roast lamb dinner, fabulous NZ wine, and a sleepover in the beautiful home I grew up in. Yeh, not much to look forward too, eh?!! 
Today was well spent, starting to pack for the Oz Tour, getting requirements together for our trip to ConTEXTart, and packing up the suitcase of supplies for the workshop with Hervey Bay Spinners and Weavers at the end of April. Organizements - I can do it!!

2 comments:

  1. Svenja, you are amazing!!! I truly am blown away by how you find the means to make your works! They are so 'physical'. Would love to see the antlers go into a fashion shop window display after they are used.
    I will keep checking in! Very exciting. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you Faithful Flora - your kind words always gladden my heart!!

    ReplyDelete