Pages

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Radelaide part two

Echo Tunnel
Monday morning I set off for Belair Conservation Park, where I enjoyed a good 6km run through the bush on the Waterfall Hike track. It recommended 3 hours, but I was done in 11/2, running much of the way. The most challenging part was not the hills, but this creepy, long tunnel called Echo Tunnel, where quite frankly, not much echoed. It was a challenge to my height, my sensibility and to my
a photo cannot do it justice....
Ashes to Ashes
claustraphobia and fear of the dark, and about half way in I turned and looked behind me, then turned forwards, then turned backwards...... but on reaching the other side, I was greeted with many sightings of baby Bunnehs scampering about! I also saw a magnificent parrot/lorrikeet - blue and gold and quite large. The landscape was strange - full of ghost gums with screeching cockatoos, and twisted black branches, I think from a recent fire - a very William Robinson look. On the way home I stopped in at a Salvos store, and talked myself into a funky pair of studded wedge boots. Then it was home for a brekky of banana and youghurt, and the remaining prawns, before heading into the city. I chose to enter via the East side, and half planned to head straight to the car rental depot, but then took a few twists and turns. Having sufficiently toured, I was trying to find a servo to fill up at when I spied the Jam Factory Gallery, and got to check that out. I just loved these pieces by Tamara Baillie in the current exhibition 'Shimmer'.  The didactic panel read: Inspired by Papua New Guinean masks, Baillie creates forms that embody her ancestors. With our current taboos about death and bodies, the body bag has become a way to distance ourselves, to obscure and contain death in drip proof plastic, discreetly removed by unobtrusive professionals. Lace flows out of the bags as if seeping from the past, alluding to the spectral, pervasive legacy of our bleached and starched history and to the organic uncontainable messiness of death and decay. This was one of those rare experiences where I was initially struck by the physical beauty of the work, which was then actually enhanced by the words on the didactic panel, rather than making me snort at the attempt to obfuscate the orginal intention, if indeed there ever was one. Bravo! Beautiful and actually meaningful work!
T'arts!
After being led astray twice by the GPS towards no longer existent servos, I eventually got it sorted and delivered the car, free now to walk Rundle Street. I started at the Eastern end, the highlight being the Red Cross shop, then ended up in the pedestrian mall end which was, well, pedestrian. Priceline, Lorna Jane, Novo, Swarovski........ how unique (not!)! Luckily I stumbled into the Adelaide Arcade
and subsequently Gays arcade, where I found the delightful T'Arts Textile Collective, which I have known about for years. A bracelet created by Cindy Durant  spoke to me here, and funnily enough
also goes with my jacket and today's new shooz! There was another fabulous shop in this arcade, jewellery by Sarah Rothe, sadly closed on this day, but I took these photos - I saw some of her work in a gallery in Hahndorf and admired it. Turn away now, Bun - I also found the Button Bar - OMG!!
The Button Bar
What didn't she have?!! How I wished I had a place like this near me, as buttons aren't something you can really buy anticipatorily without a pro. I continued to wander down to West End, before getting on the city loop bus, which, heading in a clockwise direction, ended up taking me back all through town, and across the river into North Adelaide, so it was a great little tour for me! Luckily I wasn't in a hurry. I was able to walk home from the stop at Whitmore Square, and was thrilled to get myself into a shower and then onto a chair with a nice cold beer by 5:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment