Pages

Saturday 19 March 2022

Opening at Gympie

 We’ve just returned home from Gympie where we celebrated the third opening of Algalrhythms, and I gave my artist talk. Matt was such a trooper, chauffeuring me, and cleaning up all my gear after my presentation whilst I was talking to people – what an awesome PA! But as usual, we forgot to get a photo together!



We had a great turnout at around 30 people, one being my old friend Joan from early ATASDA days!
 What a pleasant surprise!
3D printed barnacles

I think the 3d pen process was the most fascinating to the audience, as many wanted to know more. I hope I entertained them as I shared my – at times – haphazard processes of making, blessed with moments of serendipity. The description of conceiving the ideas behind the work was a little more serious, referencing as it does the hypothesis of biophilia, as proposed by Edward O. Wilson, which describes "the connections that human beings subconsciously seek with the rest of life."




As I see it, the contemplation of death as part of the life cycle helps affirm our place in the natural world, and that beauty can and should be found in every part of this cycle. 

And appreciated in its fleeting appearance at each stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment