Pages

Monday 30 July 2018

Goodbye July!


Anthozoa, my Wearable Art Mandurah (WAM) entry from 2017, continues to live an interesting life in Perth - currently she is on display until the end of August at Lakelands Library as part of the WAM retrospective exhibition. Recently, she was used in a photo shoot with Katie Witt Photography, modelled by Kiana Lee and organised by Michelle Murphy. It's so amazing waking up and finding images like this of your work in your inbox!


Lichen Morphology has also spent the last month on exhibition at Burnie Regional Art Gallery.
Last week I was fortunate enough to host both Barb Thoms, the driving force behind WAM, and Janet de Boer for lunch. Hours and hours of wearable art discussion - so good! It must have stirred up something in me, as on the weekend inspiration hit, and I entered WAM 2019! This was also driven by having a tidy studio to work in, and time to revisit partially developed concepts buried within it! That gave me two solid designs to begin work on - one for WAM, one just because it needs to happen.
Also last week, this arrived - Down Under Textiles -  containing a lovely 4 page spread on my recent work, as well as many other interesting articles - I particularly liked the one on Irene Manion's beautiful long stitch free motion embroidery, and of course, the one on WAM. My article features the photography of Asiara Media and Chantal Brennan Photography, and models Heidi Sun and Edwina Tait.
July also brought the welcome news that my World of WearableArt entry has made it through another round of judging and will be shown in the performance in September. Thank goodness, as accommodation and flights were all booked! I'm using the 10 weeks until the show to do a little retrospective of my own 'Decade of Design', posting pictures of my WOW works on Instagram and Facebook each week.
This week I am off to the Artforce Awards at Brisbane City Hall to celebrate the work of myself and other artists on Brisbane traffic signal boxes. I've been shortlisted for the Overall Award, but there are many fabulous works - see them all here.
The week finishes with the opening of an exhibition at artisan at their new premises in Bowen Hills in the newly developed Brisbane Showgrounds Precinct. Stitch Cult is an exhibition that investigates the social significance of embroidery and its practice. Perhaps I'll finish this embroidered yoke for Matt's shirt in time and he can wear it there?! Now there's some motivation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment