Tuesday, 15 May 2012

May update

Recently I had the pleasure of attending the opening of ‘Push Pull, In out, Over Under’ , the current exhibition at Gallery 159, featuring the shibori work of Margaret Barnett and my good friend Beatrice Jackson.

 A hand weaver and shibori dyer, Beatrice has extended herself into new territory, by working with shibori stitching on organza and lame to create stunning shapes, and all twinkling with her trademark beading. I took ‘Les Girls’ over for use in the exhibition, which was a cunning plan – I was there for set up, and got to nab a few pieces before anyone else saw them!
After another busy week on the planet, including being sent home from TAFE on Tuesday night because I was falling asleep, then missing gym the next morning because I stuffed up my alarm, it was Friday again! Friday evening saw the shoot for Mirror Mirror,
Mirror Mirror getting pushed through the machine!!
with the fabulous Miss Jess. Anticipating a ‘walk in the park’ shoot, it turned out to be a bit more challenging. Firstly, the zipper failed – aaaaghhhhh! So I had to stitch, pin, and safety pin Miss J into it. Ever the professional, she was not at all phased, and pulled out some amazing poses.  I just said the word ‘Vogue’ to her, and she was off! I’m sure Jess was thrilled to hear “OK, just do everything you just did again”!! But look at the result!!
Miss Jess - you ROCK!!
Exhausted, the we headed home for our trusty pick-me-up, Mr Mojhito!! And Mr Champagne, and Mr Japanese Slipper……… well earned after a big week!
Saturday morning saw the domestic chores done, and with the house sparkarlingoo, I headed down to the studio to start the next project, the nuno felted bridal party! I was quite nervous, as this is using the new techniques I learnt at Vilte’s workshop, including working in reverse. However, 6 hours later (really, 6 hours?!!) I had a beautiful wrap, and felt more confident about making the matching dress on Sunday. Layout went well, but the process was put on hold due to Mothers day smoked salmon sandwiches and champagne! It was nice to show Mum what has been keeping me so busy – I made her come to me, and still worked whilst she was here! Then it was out for a drive in the latest ride, Fred the M5 Studebaker. We stopped off at the Storey Bridge for some jazz and Sav Blanc – a lovely way to finish the weekend!

The lost time had to be found somewhere, so it was up at 6am Monday morning, no gym, just hard work rolling cold wet felt in an extremely cold studio! Of course, felting prefers the warmer weather, so it took a long time! I left it to dry and went to work, eager to return to see the results.  Overall quite pleasing, but I’m still not convinced about making dresses in the round rather than making two sides and sewing them together for a better fit!
One more dress next weekend with my lovely studio assistant, Miss Jenelle, and it’s time to post a bag full of goodies to Tasmania. (Miss Jenelle, you will understand the pain I felt as I made myself do 500 more rolls! Then 500 more rolls!! I kept thinking of you!) I'm building on the original white workshop dress for this too.Then I have until the end of July to finish the collection.
Tuesday – and I’m happy that my silk order arrived at last today – whooo hoooo! Velvet for devore, black and white paj, and tissue silk! Off to college tonight – hard to drag myself there with silk to play with, and after a lovely day with the boi having lunch down at Marina Mirage – prawns and champers – whooo!

1 comment:

  1. 500 more rolls in the cold! *shudder* - will have to get the heaters going in the studio this weekend!! Looking forward to it :)