Pages

Sunday 23 February 2020

A little process work

Having endured my soul searching for the last few posts, today you can just enjoy looking at some fun stuff I've been playing with.
I made a screen to print through by dabbing on pva glue with glad-wrap to make an organic pattern as a resist. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it did, and also survived the clean-up, so I can use it again. I used fabric paint and squeegee today, but I think sponging some paint through would allow some more subtle effects. The image below is one of the last runs, as the paint was running out.
 When it was  dry, I free-motion embroidered over the print, with a thick felt base underneath it, and was very pleased with the result! I'm trying to build up a rock-like texture.
I placed a little piece of leather kelp I made during the week on it.
I made another small piece as a brooch to enter in Timeless Textiles Brooching the Subject exhibition, along with one made of silk paper and uv free-motion embroidery.
 During the week I also played with securing dyed fabric strips with overlocked edges around a frame and draping the rest in the centre to look like ruffly kelp.
 This was a piece of polyester satin painted with metallic acrylic through a flour paste crackle - I liked the effect but thought it was a lot of effort for the result, which led me to the screen-print idea!
When I was tidying up I found my stash of very fleshy eucalyptus leaves from King Island mouldering away between paper in a plastic bag. They made some wonderful marks, and look so beautiful themselves. They are now all dried out and should last a while.
Last week's yarn dyeing worked out well, as did my free-motion embroidery sample with it - sewn on organza on a hoop and burnt out with a heatgun - it shrinks a little, but it also curls up and creates a nice crusty texture.
The orange yarn went pretty well so I tried some different yarn with the lighter green/yellow colours.
This time I also fared better in the winding up when dry - there is a way to make an incredible tangle and drive yourself completely crazy! All in all a success week of work. I am definitely finding it freeing not to have to worry about washability - I can use any paint or process I like. It's also great not to have to consider sizing and openings. I can feel my brain opening up like a blossoming flower. Or perhaps an alien sucker. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment