Pages

Sunday 28 April 2019

SvenJen 2019 Bunnehs in Ballarat Part 2

Upon Friday afternoon arrival, BB went to training, whilst I met the class, claimed a table, and introduced my invisible, but very strong friend, Jenelle! Sadly, due to the confusion of originally booking to do the workshop in NZ before switching to Ballarat, we have turned up with awesome felting tools, but no needles. We’ll work it out....
At dinner, we reunite with old friends, BB gets to meet our tutor and class, and at some stage PB manages the faux pas of "how good is our class – there seem to be 0 fruitloops – perhaps it’s the tutor then?”…. as tutor Kristy walks up behind me…..
At dinner the Bunnehs try and organise the morning:
BB: How long around the lake?
PB: (holds up 6 fingers)
BB: So what time iz upz?
PB: I don’t want to brain it
BB: I’ll work it out
PB: I don’t want to help…..
So the first lake walk is a tad gorgeous, including full rainbow, many birds, and of course philosophical issues, such as why we so often have a desire to be anti-social.....
Class begins, and our tutor Kristy Kun asks, "Who's a leftie?', with BB being the only one to say "me!" Absolute GOLD as Kristy looks at her, sighs, and says, "OK". We are also in giggles as she reads out and reacts to the days notices, including a tea break at 10:30 - "Really? You need a break at 10:30?!", but when she is informed that there will be cake, is immediately sold on the concept. She proceeds to completely win BB over when during one of her demonstrations states that she "is not one for extra steps"!! There is some fun as Pam Hovel points out Kristy's pronunciation of 'aluminium' and PB snorts, 'Yeh, we say all the letters here!", and afternoon tea of cheese and biscuits needs to be reinterpreted as cheese and crackers. Jenelle inverts her felt layout, and Kristy says "That's OK, but no-one else do that", then "And she's left-handed. Still!" Loving this woman!!
PB's much-maligned itinerary/information folder is brought out to consult, and BB finally admits her grudging respect for it as it clearly contains VALUABLE INFORMATION!! It's only taken 7 years to get some respect....

After dinner, we repair to the common room, but when talk turns to euthanasia, decide this is not our night to play. The next morning as we meet in the hall, BB asks me "what in God's name were you playing in there?!'( Poor Bob Dylan. Nobody likes him. On another afternoon, someone else asks me to turn him down). As a brisk breeze appears, I worry about having removed an extra layer, and BB is amused at me being the most consistently cold person she knows! Day 2 of the workshop bears great results, with two sample flowers completed by all.

Flowers soaking to remove the soap.
 Day 3 begins with a disappearing Bun, as I pop up on the other side of BB as she is talking to me, leaving her perplexed and talking to air momentarily. During the lake walk I stop and must photograph the bare branches as they are 'speaking to me'. "What are they saying, Bun?" "Stick".
On the way back we jump the fence to the Botanic Gardens and find an amazing display of dahlias - most pertinent to the class!
Speaking of class - today we begin the larger project, and a volatile BB swings from 'chucking a sad' (a new term embraced by Kristy) as we start by discussing our flowers (too slow!!) to "I'm so excited" as plans progress! Morning tea holds yet another delight for our sweet-toothed Kristy, who has been told that todays' treat is Chocolate Hedgehog, yet somehow goes in search of the Chocolate Turtle.
Tuesday becomes the day of change, as PB braves the day without the coat, waits in a different spot at Maccas for the coffee, crosses the road before the railway and walk through the North Gardens instead of around the Lake. We are rewarded for these brave moves by sighting a fluffy wallaby in the gardens. The day is filled with concentration on work, and twice shutting down group photos on everyone's devices - just NO!!
My new feather hat is worn to dinner at the Top Table, and afterwards we return to the classroom for the first time ever - BB questions "Who even am I"?!! Pam cops some ribbing about the shape her felted cylinder has turned into - "oooh, I like your vagina, Pam"!!
Wednesday is our final morning lake walk, and there are many concerned wails about the wind as we leave the school. PB grumps her way around the lake and the wind gets worse, and there is a moment of clarity as I tell BB about how psycho the wind makes me - a-HA!! It is probably the hardest work day in the class - much rubbing of felt, many heavy sighs. We tour other classrooms, such as the
Millinery one "We need to do THAT" to Erica Gray's headpiece class, where I finally try the 3D pen and decide that I do, indeed, need to buy one of those!
Tired Bunnehs finish up and say goodbye, regretting their decision to leave that day as they are both very tired, but soon realise that it was a good decision. Hire car drop goes smoothly, although I am asked if I am dressed for something special, and I am relieved to see the shuttle bus arrive almost immediately, as I did not know how to explain to BB that there could be a 20-30 minute wait - eeep!! We are stoked to settle in the Virgin Lounge once more, where I manage to mistake mustard for hommous....
And once again it is all over for another year. Sniff.
Now, back to more normal textile transmissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment