Pages

Wednesday 5 December 2018

TAFE Graduation Parade 2018

Last night I was invited to have three of my garments showcased at the TAFE Fashion graduation - I can't believe it was only last year that I graduated!! My garments were worn by three beautiful models during the pre-show exhibition of work, and started the runway show. Matt did me proud by turning up in one of the waistcoats I have made him - kudos to him for his dedication, as it was sweat city up there!! The models were fantastic, all of them, and my congratulations to all those behind the scenes for creating one of the best parades I've seen at TAFE.

Thanks to Ann Armstrong for this photo
Connor and the Avatar!
During the break between dress rehearsal and the opening, I was able to have a private demo of the amazing new design software being rolled in to TAFE, demonstrated by IT dude Connor. I was passing the room when I saw him directly sketching onto the screen with a stylus, and immediately diverted. As someone who spent the weekend cutting, stapling, and sellotaping cardboard together on a mini-mannequin, I felt pretty outdated, but then I also recognise that whilst these kinds of programmes may be wonderful for industry, they're not always going to be that helpful to the one-off designer, or she that is struggling with the basics due to unruly computers!

One of the exercises the first years have to do is make a calico apron and use fabric embellishment techniques on them, also keeping a journal of the process (a very valuable tool which I hope they all remember to keep up along the way). I loved the intricacy of this shibori dyed and embroidered one, with extra draped and pleated layer included, 

as well as this one utilising beetle wings and gold embroidery. Another was a textural delight of heat distorted fabrics, one of my favourite techniques.


Then of course, there was the accessories display, of millinery, belts, and bags.



Here's a wee video of the start of the show featuring the undergarment of Euphony Iridacaea from 2012, Undulation II from 2011, and Lichen Morphology from earlier this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment