Pages

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Do you think Wellington will notice me?!!


Just under 2 weeks now until I fly over to Wellington  NZ for the Brancott World of WearableArt™ Awards show - brrrrrrrrrrr! In anticipation of the bracing wind and well, frankly, just mind- numbing cold, this sunny Queensland girl decided to make herself a hat and boa to keep the cold at bay. The boa was fun – it’s the first one I’ve made in black with multi-coloured centres. At first glance it looks just black, but then on closer view, the different coloured materials and sparkles in the centre of each piece appear. I’ve included sari scraps, disco sequin, lame scraps, silk fibre, and printed silk organza scraps which are offcuts from my actual WoW entry. I made a few extra pieces to use on the hat, but they were huge, so I made 5 more tiny ones – it’s even harder making them smaller! The hat is a hoot – it’s just a basic capeline with a little ledge on the top and a cut-out at the front – helmet style! Because I want to be able to pack it in my suitcase, I used stitches instead of millinery stiffener to give it strength and retain the shape, by free-motion embroidering all over it.It's not my normal kind of look, but really, I just want to be warm!! 13 more sleeeeps!!



No comments:

Post a Comment